Sunday, February 22, 2015

Thursday, February 19 -- feet up




A fairly quiet day, as we had done PLENTY yesterday.  A beautiful dawn greeted us, and we tucked into a new loaf of bread for our breakfast toast.







The dining room table was graced with new towel origami (will we find time to work in the class that's offered??)  It's hard to take these little creations apart, the room is becoming quite well-decorated.

We pursued reading in our respective preferred settings (Linda and Claudette poolside, me in front of the open windows enjoying the warm breeze in the shady room), and now I've actually FINISHED my book-club book.  This is a major victory, make no mistake.

I was also able to make progress on my long-running needlework project.  Somehow I have such a challenge working it into my regular rhythms at home, but once I'm away, I can pick it up eagerly.



 



One of the small perks of "buying in" is that the fellow for whom you just generated a nice commission will often offer to host you for dinner as a little thank-you.  And, indeed, we headed downstairs at 5P sharp to be picked up in the biggest truck any of us had ever seen up-close-and-personal -- a nice shiny white extended-cab number which had NO PROBLEM with the speed bumps in the hotel driveway.

It was going to be a cool-ish evening, so I was able to use the beautiful shawl I'd received from my friend who's a demon knitter.  To the right is the closest you'll ever get to a "selfie" of ME -- but concentrate on the gorgeous handwork.   :)

 


We had lobbied hard to go to F.I.S.H. and our host cheerfully complied.  We'd met the place last year courtesy of our representative, and had pleasant memories.  It's the Fresh International Seafood House, and the recommended choice is a taco flight, with a different sea critter stuffed in each of 3 or 5 tacos.  They come out in a zig-zag metal sheet which is attached to a board, and works perfectly.  I opted for a salmon burger, which was just as good as last year, and everyone helped by sharing my helping of wedge fries.

Our host also has a good-sized working farm nearby, raising chickens (and selling their eggs), beef, sheep, and various crops; plus 5 big dogs.  It was interesting to learn how he balances everything.  As we finished up dinner, our thoughts turned to dessert.  The sole dessert offered at F.I.S.H. was a caramel-banana tart, and we split just one for a nice finish to the meal.  However ... our host wanted to be certain we were aware of the best strawberry cheesecake in Mazatlan, and he described how to find the restaurant that offers it.  Then he became more inspired and suggested we drive on down there and he'd pick up a piece for us!

The place was close to the north end of the Malacon (the long, LONG walkway along the oceanfront downtown), and dinner hour was in full swing.  He managed to find a place to pull over, and we waited in the truck while he ran in for the treat.  Back to the hotel we went, having been thoroughly charmed.

We discussed tucking right into the prodigious piece of cheesecake, but better sense prevailed and we tucked it into the 'frig to be consumed tomorrow.  A lovely day, and a good night's sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment