Thursday, February 19, 2015

Tuesday, February 17 -- Good Scouting




The sun came blazing up this morning, illuminating the residential community just across the way from us.  Lovely start to our day!






We enjoyed the breakfast buffet again, lingering for a review of our arrangements and the somewhat-inevitable little upgrade to same.  We should be able to return to Nuevo Vallarta reliably in the future as a result, though we might sometimes miss compact little Mazatlan.

Hard to believe we're about a third of the way through our stay already ... time for the first of two planned laundry loads.  I was also short a couple of white onions for planned meals, so stopped by the little Sun Market for detergent, the token for the washer, and the onions.  Well, yes, and a couple of guilty-pleasure snacks, I'll confess.  Then off to the really rather pleasant, air-conditioned lavanderia.

With laundry underway, I fired up my Kindle -- almost unheard of! -- to make more progress on the book I've recommended for our next building book club meeting (Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer, in case you want to read along).  Since I have to lead that discussion, seems prudent to get the tome under my belt.  But, despite the device having been fully charged in the morning, it promptly went to zero and turned itself off.  GROWF!

Perhaps just as well, as a handsome young Hispanic gentleman arrived and had NO CLUE how to get the laundry working.  With some demonstrations and actual help, we got his clothes underway and managed to communication "half-an-hour" for his return.  I'd brought my long-running needlework project along, so I turned to that.  Next, an age-mate with a cane appeared and also lacked facility with the facilities; with HIS load underway, he took over the bench outside the laundry room.  I got my clothes into the dryer, and shortly afterward showed the Hispanic gentleman how to accomplish that ... again managed to communicate "half-an-hour" as he didn't comprehend the concept of a timer.  Now the gentleman with the cane returned and got HIS load to drying, and a new visitor, a young American woman, also needed help with the token.  Figuring I'd not be there when SHE returned, I pointed out that the dryers were "free" with the paid laundry.


I'm folding our laundry when the cane-gentleman's load buzzes done so I tap on the window to alert him and finally head back to the room, feeling like I'd earned my merit badge for the day for sure!  And to top off an active day regarding textiles, we had lovey-dovey swanlets on our living room table. 



Between all the technical training on laundry nuances, I actually had made some progress on the needlework, and managed to get to a good milestone before turning to dinner again.  Meanwhile, Linda was taking a turn at the stove and produced some fine red sauces for upcoming dishes.




Tonight, we went green -- chicken breasts in pepita sauce (with lots and LOTS of cilantro and some chiles), flanked with a mix of diced chayote and zucchini.  Mexican chickens have the most astonishing yellow skin and fat, no doubt from eating good grains; but truly, it is just about fluorescent.  In addition, I had purchased split chicken breasts for this dish ... but mysteriously there were only bones on one side of each breast.  This did make them fit in the pan with greater grace ... but we are even now wondering what happened to the other half of the bones? 






 and finally, we are thrilled to report that the Valentine's Day roses are thriving in their Jerry-rigged vase -- looks like they may see us through our stay.  Beautiful!




No comments:

Post a Comment